Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Man in the attic

"And,students that's the end of the class today, we will have another video conference on next Tuesday.Make sure all of you read up the latest paper on management of Tetralogy of Fallot." And I switched off my Macbook Pro.My faithful companion for the past 3 years.Before my demented brain forgets,I am Sangee,a pediatric cardiologist.And that was the video conference I was having with my 4th year medical students.Gone were the days where we used to get up at 8.30 am for a 9am class, run as fast as our feet could carry us.Students these days,I should say are pretty spoiled.In my lifetime,I have seen medical education evolve dramatically.Whether it is for the better or for the worse,I am in no position to comment.But I should say that my students have made the best out of what was thrown at them.
But have I mentioned that my job doesn't define.In fact,I have got a pretty interesting personal life.At least I would love to think so.I teach music at the local primary school during the weekends, write scripts for plays and spend the non-existant free time relaxing in my comfortable Victoria era mansion that I bought over from a wee lad who was not interested in keeping his family treasure.But I saw a home in it.
And I have been staying,for the past 20 years,all by myself.That is if you don't include Sam,the security guard and Lily, the housekeeper.So much for a successful life.
I belong to an average family.Although we din't have much money,we were very happy.My parents are the simply the best.But I have always hated growing up since that would mean separation from them.And my most dreaded day came.And it took me 10000 kilometres away from them.It has been 30 years since I first left home.I still go home every year without fail,but me being alone has in some sense made me love my loneliness.But don't get me wrong,the time i go home is possibly the only time of the year I am happy.Minus my birthday of course.
You must be wondering,successful career,lotsa money,big house why don't I bother to get someone to share my life with.A partner?A cat?A dog?Nah,not an animal lover.I was talking about the cat and the dog part.A partner.Now,now let's not get there.I took a glimpse at the clock I got from Turkey that was hanging on the wall.1pm.I better start cooking lunch.For one person.

To be continued...........

No comments:

Post a Comment